Chipping Sodbury Town Hall with its Foyer and Upper Rooms dating back to the Medieval times and its modern Auditorium, provides excellent facilities for a wide range of functions.
Over the centuries various buildings on the site have served a variety of purposes. In 1452 a licence was granted for the foundations of a Guild (for school) and two priests were employed to act as schoolmasters. Their school was what is now the front part of the Hall, whilst the priests lived in the house on the left of the Hall. The house is now incorporated into the Town Hall complex and accommodates the stairs, lift, cloakrooms and kitchen facilities to the Charter Suite on the first floor.
The Town Hall
The guild was disbanded after the Dissolution of the monasteries in 1549 and the Hall was sold to a private owner. After only a few years , ownership came back to the town authorities and it became known as the Town Hall.
The Town Hall has had various uses over the centuries and was probably used for town authority meetings – Chipping Sodbury had a Mayor between 1680 and 1690 – market stalls and various public gatherings.
Renovations took place in 1738 and 1858 when the present Victorian Gothic facade was added.
New Town Hall
By the 1970’s the Town Hall was in need of complete refurbishment, and in 1981 it was re-opened. A new Auditorium was built with up to date stage and back stage arrangements. In addition, modern catering facilities have been provided to accommodate functions and banquets.
The older part of the building retains many of the original features – Medieval Fireplace in the Foyer and the sixteenth century timberwork in the Charter Suite are examples.